|At rest, the balloon is towards the bottom of the card|
It took me all afternoon to work out how to accomplish my goal but it was worth it because I'm very happy with the result!
|As the tag is pulled up to reveal the greeting, the balloon rises too|
I'm not normally big on planning, so this was a bit of a departure for me! The first thing I did was to work out my sizes and plan my layers.
|The mechanism prevents the tag pulling out further or the balloon rising more|
Then I took a scrap piece of watercolour paper and used, more or less, the smooching method to apply Crushed Curry and Tangerine Tango inks. I did this twice, drying the piece off with a heat tool in between. While the second coat was wet, I picked up a little Real Red ink with a damp brush and dabbled it on so that it blended a bit.
|This piece of watercolour paper "smooched" with Crushed Curry and Tangerine Tango sits behind the balloon die cut|
While the watercolour was drying, I cut my layers and the pieces for the mechanism which comprises the front "pocket" with the slit cut into it, a tag and a little piece of window sheet (cut and bent as per the photo below).
|I've drawn pencil marks to make the cut and the score lines more visible|
The tag is just a fraction smaller and I cut it from Mint Macaron cardstock. I cut a 3/4" circle of Smoky Slate cardstock, folded it in half and then glued it over the centre of one end to form the tag pull.
|I attached the lower flaps of window sheet to the tag and the upper ones to the balloon|
I cut a small piece of window sheet and cut and bent it to the above shape to attached the balloon. The lower two flaps I glued to the tag. I then pushed the window sheet up through the slit from the back and bent the upper two tags into shape before using glue dots to adhere them to the finished balloon. when the tag is pulled, the small straight piece of window sheet slides up the slit in the pocket.
To finish the mechanism, I folded back the 1/2" flaps on either side of the pocket piece, added Fast Fuse adhesive and then adhered the pocket to the top of the card.
|There is depth to the card between the lifting mechanism and the Stampin' Dimensionals|
I cut the clouds from Whisper White cardstock and sponged around the edges with Smoky Slate ink, adding more ink to the bottom of the cloud. These are adhered to the card with Stampin' Dimensions. The tiny cloud is sitting in front of the top cloud, so I used a double layer of dimensionals.
The balloon is very simple. I cut the outline from Basic Gray cardstock with the Up & Away Framelit and then glued it to the piece of watercolour paper. Once the adhesive was dry, I trimmed away the excess watercolour paper, including the little piece between the basket and the balloon, which I trimmed away with a craft knife.
I've kept my card relatively small because I wanted to used the Thick Whisper White card for the card base. These are the sizes I used:
Card base: 6" x 7" scored and folded at 3.5"
Basic Gray: 3 3/8" x 5 7/8"
Mint Macaron: 3.25" x 5.75"
Thank you for visiting.
'Til next time!
Product List - To visit my online store, click on a product image below (Australian Residents only)